Wednesday 7 October 2015

Kampi's Saga - Time Old Question

Skol! It's Kampi's Saga!

The Saturday prior to the last was his first full mission as an newly appointed acolyte. Though I tested and initially failed his full guild test two weeks prior on a misinterpretation of a particular ruling, the Executive Council deliberated upon the unclear rule and decided to reverse the reason for failure a few days following. So without pomp, Kampi passed and became an acolyte! It only took him a year since arriving at Dagger Deep, but for him (me) the journey is more important than the destination.


Since I'd been training with armour and my shield for quite a while it didn't feel like a huge shift for me; Kampi just has a higher survivability rate now in battle and has a few new useful spells to make him a more effective ally.

Anyway, enough of this, on to the entry:




The fifth Day of Wodin
Month of Autumn
Local Year 5315


Rune: Kenaz
Divine Association: Surtur, the Black.
Literal Meaning: Torch/Ulcer
Interpretations: Potential, Change, Mortality
  • Right-side: Vitality, Guidance, Revelation
  • Inverted: Pain, Delusion, Sickness


It seems the Æsir, in their wisdom, have decided to grant me the powers belonging to a faithful acolyte, for several days prior I exercised them as best I could during the concerns of the day.

It was my first full day performing as a member of the townguard; wearing my hip a sash bearing the azure and ivory fields of the settlement of Dagger Deep, I strode into town carrying copies of the Village Peasant's latest periodical, as I was instructed to do as my first duty. After an attempt to distribute them to a scant and uninterested populace, I left them at the tavern.

Following that I was met by a perhaps overly-friendly elder whom I did not recognize as a local, who was muttering something incomprehensible; and soon after we parted ways I began to feel tired and ill. Nash the druid was also feeling unwell after meeting with him and after witnessing the mage Serenity alleviating her illness through magic, I also petitioned for her aid, and a short time later I began to feel my hale self again.


Serenity
The old man who was spreading about a malady apparently met a violent end, and after some discussion, members of the Watch still unwell offered to move his body to the gaol until a priest was able to cure and return him to life; thus preventing the disease from further propagating. I should be more cautious with the offered hands that I grasp, but I do believe it also goes along way to be polite.

Captain Milo
Eventually I was called to a meet with my fellow guardsfolk that were also present and on duty; our Captain of the Watch, Milo, ran introductions between the guardsmen and his lieutenant Kalabar. I had brief dealing months ago with this somewhat shady character, his motivation seems that of primarily greed; I wouldn't be surprised if was using the watch to his own gains; ordering patrols in certain locals, etc. I shouldn't state such feelings though as its beyond my station and purview of our Captain.

Lieutenant Kalabar
Before we were stationed throughout the town to our watches, Milo tested our mettle in the sparring ring. Apparently my martial prowess must have been satisfactory, for I was briefly tasked to practice with fellow guard Ayla, who is rather timid in physical confrontations.


Ayla, Priestess of Lanthar
After practice, we were assigned to our posts; mine was the temple district, the northwestern fields and sparring ring, and the town limits bordering the barony of Calen Tor. My watch was uneventful for the first half; I passed most of it watching the comings and goings from the criers' rostrum.



Two friendly, but rather dimwitted jötnar, Stump and Rock, were tasked to watch from the town's walls; their giant voices carried far as they made inane observations and struck up conversations with the townsfolk. They're about as keen as their namesakes, but I'm glad we're able to harness their strength for the good of the Watch.


Stump and Rock, jötnar of the Derprock Tribe.
I learnt the week prior that the Watch was attempting to contain another potential outbreak stemming from a hooded devotee of the one of the profane Chaos Gods that are allowed to be worshipped here at the Deep. Despite knowingly infecting those he came into contact with, the Watch was apparently powerless to do anything about it because it wasn't breaking any of the listed laws. This came to concern again this day:

Kalabar called the guards together on a task that needed performing: we were to enter the unholy church of the Undivided and bring the hooded individual to quarantine in the gaol, with intent to protect the townfolk from further plague. Guarding the entrance to the grounds, I didn't witness the events that occurred inside: apparently after claiming our intention of arrest, fellow watchmen Rycen, perhaps too overeager, slit the fanatic's throat with the intent that we carry his body to lock-up, where it would be tended to by Relan (who was now under the employ of the Watch to stem the possible spread of disease).

A fellow chaos disciple arrived soon afterwards and demanded entrance to his pit place of worship; having no reason to deny him, I let him enter. After his demands were made, he attempted to restore life to his compatriot, but was magically Silenced by Kalabar. To contain the sickness, again the ill were tasked to gradually carry the body to the gaol; we managed to make it to the front door when the other fanatic returned with the Sheriff Balthier and a heated argument began between all present.



In the end Relan restored the body to life, but not before he cured him of his contagions. Once back amongst the living he loudly proclaimed he was 'unclean' in the eyes of his god, and hurried back to his church, presumably to 'anoint' himself with the disease ridden filth strewn about that vile place. I try to keep an open mind about other faiths, but the practices of that one seem most unwholesome.



The pair desired to press assault/murder charges against the Watch, particularly Rycen, but the Watch maintained that those present were acting under Kalabar's orders, who conveniently slipped off before the discussion to a head. I soon grew weary and frustrated at the squabbling, blame, and confusion: I resumed my watch to calm myself; how I longed for a drink.



A distraught Ayla later found me with her watch sash in hand; as she handed it over to me she professed how she believed she could not willing follow morally dubious leadership nor be part of an inefficient, possibility corrupt, organization that is meant to protect the township. I had little to say in reply, for the same thoughts were crossing my own mind.



I barely had time to consider this turn of events, when the seemingly-immortal being calling himself Alexandros (who was last seen a fortnight prior) arrived into town with a mixed retinue of individuals calling themselves the Exorcists. Alexandros' team consisted of two powerful fighting men, a bound fire elemental, and a half-demon girl referred to as a Tiefling. He grimly announced to the town that millennia-old rivals, the demon sorcerer Nepxar and the necromancer Deimin, had chosen our local realm (flush with natural resources, magical energy, and fresh souls), as their battleground, far from the homelands of Exorcists.



Unfortunately, the only thing that these two hate more than each other, is Alexandros and his Exorcists, and the folk of Dagger Deep were soon caught in the middle of a time old feud as the raging demons of Nepxar slaughtered indiscriminately as Deimin used the slain to bolster the ranks of his undead army.



Casters of magic soon discovered that spells used to control demons and the undead respectively did not work in the presence of these powerful beings; though my meagre channelling of faith did function at banishing lowly aptrgangr, more powerful (and plentiful) forms of undead were beyond my capability. I had to rely more on my mettle and faith in the Æsir to see me through that day.

A long and chaotic battle ensued. Through means that I do not fully understand, nor do I frankly care at this point in time, apparently with the townsfolks' aid, the Exorcists managed to banish both the demon lord and the necromancer from our realm; though apparently Alexandros and his team are stuck here, far from their home, which they claim is on the other side of the known world.



I thank Alexandros and his allies for their help against these two threats and wish him the best on their long journey home.

That evening I intended to spend recovering from the day's exhaustion with a good meal and much drink, but outside the tavern I learned to my surprise that Ayla, whilst undoubtedly expressing her apprehension about the earlier events to Balthier, was unexpected appointed by him as his replacement as Sheriff. Looks like Ayla will remain apart of the Watch for at least a little longer. This makes me glad, it can use more decent people with strong morals; gives me hope that what we do is for the good of all.

I remember little else of that night, I should perhaps cut down on the amount I drink when I'm with my mentor brother Relan.

Skol!


Praise Be To The Æsir

Ref 'Kampi' Vandillson

No comments:

Post a Comment